Monday, April 21, 2014

april discoveries

alright, so I am going to make it a point to share new artists, well not even all the time will they be new necessarily, just new to me, but I'll make it a point to share some of my personal discoveries with you all, I've been working on this for about a week so here we go

first

St Paul & The Broken Bones

So yes, I know how unbelievably late I am on this group, especially since they hail from Birmingham and I stay in Alabama? I really can't believe this dudes vocals, I love the Southern soul influence and this is, when I first heard it my mouth kind of dropped open, yes, I know this is nothing new but, refreshing nonetheless.




Sasha Keable



If you're anything like me, you may already be familiar with Sasha Keable, I first discovered her through Disclosure, and I'm not going to lie, when I first saw that this voice came from a white English girl I was thoroughly taken aback, even though at this point I really shouldn't have been, I think Perri from Little Mix, or Elli Ingram who definitely to me, sing like black women, or more so, contain a soulfulness in their vocals that I haven't heard from any American white R&B songstress, i'm actually so impressed by this, I have a massive love for English music, anyway, I absolutely love this, I love how this style is something so common I'm seeing from across the pond.

Ninetails



Let's stay on my UK kick for a minute, this time we've got a group from Liverpool, it always, to me seems like if you're going to be given the blessing to be an artist from Liverpool, you've got some massive living up to do, it's like having some major living up to do, but let's not do any comparing, because this is not even stylistically similar, this group seems to have this massive sci-fi influence over their music, it's got this slight, well it's electronic, and just within the first thirty seconds of this "Radiant Hex" I was pulled in, I love it, and I'm definitely psyched to hear more from Ninetails.

Highasakite




So I won't even pretend, I discovered this group last year when I was reading an article on Norwegian musicians, Norway is probably one of my favorite foreign countries to get music from, and this song came out in 2012, but they aren't popular in the US, so let me share some foreign flair with you all, I think this band has the potential to be massive on the indie-scene all the right elements are there, just watch the video, you'll see what I mean.

Kyan



 if Frank Ocean and John Legend had a musical love-child, this is what you're going to find, definitely, the vocals are reminiscent of Legend, but all I can really think of upon hearing this is Frank Ocean!

Fear Of Men




So there isn't anything that I don't love about this, it is airy, and dreamy, and sounds so much like napping on a cloud, I love it, this group hails from Brighton,UK and their debut, will be out later this week, definitely worth a listen.

1 comment:

  1. Hey this is Yusef, the guy who keeps bugging you on Twitter haha. You did a really good job with this, and I like the other post about Kendrick and Macklemore too. The reason I keep nagging is I really, really think you'd be perfect to help out Rock Genius, and this blog pretty much confirms that. Your taste in music is perfect (We're big on St.Vincent, Sam Smith, and Phantogram too), you can write quite well about it (Our main goal is to annotate lyrics, so thats important), and you're always onto new music it seems, which could help the site grow. Having someone passionate about music like you on our side could really help us out. If you are at all interested (pleeease be!) hit my email, twitter, or if you are already on the site message BasedGator. I'm a moderator and intern for RG, so if you have any questions feel free to fire away!

    ReplyDelete